The most important thing you should understand about modular construction is, that it is not a product or a style of home, but it is a “construction technique”. Virtually any style of home you can build using traditional construction techniques can be built with modular construction. Ranch Style, Cape Cods, Two-story homes – no matter what type of home you choose, it can be built faster, better, and for less using modular construction. At US Modular, we are happy to be your choice builders of prefab homes in Los Angeles:
- Modular homes in Los Angeles, CA, can be built in less than half the time of traditional onsite constructed homes without sacrificing quality!
- Prefab houses in Los Angeles are built to the same IRC and local building codes as onsite-built homes! We often build homes in as little as 120 days – allowing you and your family to realize your dream of moving into a new home much faster than you ever imagined!
- Like the automobile industry, factory conditions allow for higher quality home building standards without higher costs. You get a precision-built GREEN prefabricated home in Los Angeles that is likely built BETTER than it could have ever been on site – all without any extra costs for quality!
- You home will not be subjected to bad weather, rain, and the elements – not only eliminating delays, but helping to prevent future problems arising from warped wood, mold, and weather damages during construction!
- You’re neighbors will LOVE you for not subjecting to a year or more of hammers and saws whirling all hours of the day!
The Smarter Way To Build a Home in Los Angeles, CA
Modular construction uses the same materials and adheres to the same building codes as traditional construction. The difference is that with modular construction, these materials are assembled or “pre-built” inside a manufacturing facility to control quality and cost. If you imagine what it would mean to the cost and quality of your next car if it were assembled in your driveway by a group of workers, often in rainy or snowy conditions, you’ll begin to understand why modular is the natural next step for new home construction.
So why are all homes not built using modular construction?
To some extent, they are. The building industry has been moving toward modular construction for many years’ cabinets, windows, roof trusses, and door systems, are no longer fabricated on site but rather built in modern factories and delivered to the site. These modular components have increased the quality, lowered the cost and accelerated the construction schedule for home builders and homeowners everywhere.
A typical site-built home may use up to 30% modularized components. Some home builders in Los Angeles have even extended this approach to include larger components such as panelized walls and pre-formed concrete foundation systems. Full modular construction is simply the next logical step in this evolution as we build homes that are 90% complete in the factory. Thousands of homes every year in every part of the country are now built using modular construction techniques. And those numbers will continue to grow as more and more homeowners and custom home builders in Los Angeles experience the advantages of modular construction.
US Modular – your experienced choice full modular home builders in Los Angeles
Los Angeles Modular Homes Facts You Should Know:
- The building blocks of modular homes — individual modules — are housing components constructed in a controlled factory environment.
- Individual modules are up to 90% complete when shipped from the factory to the home site. All walls, flooring, ceilings, stairs, carpeting, and even wall finish are completed in the factory before shipment.
- Once all building materials arrive at the factory, some manufacturers can assemble modules in a single day. Typically, a two-story, 2,500 sq. ft. home can be constructed in a factory in under a week.
- Aside from any cost savings, modular homebuyers benefit from the short assembly time of their home — reducing any amount of weather damage or home site vandalism. Over the life of the home, modular homes save money because they are incredibly efficient.
- In 2002, modular homes accounted for 3% of the new, single-family homes constructed. Outside of the metropolitan area, that figure jumped to 12%. From 1992-2002, modular housing production increased 48%. Modular home construction has continued to increase at a steady rate.
- One of every ten homes built in the northeast is a modular home. That region accounted for 29% of the nation’s modular activity in 2001. The South Atlantic region was a close second with 26%, and the Great Lakes region third, accounting for 24%.
- Los Angeles modular construction is quickly becoming the method of choice by owners , developers and general contractors who want a quality, precision-built,eco- friendly home. Built by professionals who understand the time value of money and the benefit of building Faster, Better, Greener and for Less.
The Seven-Step Building Process for Modular Homes in Los Angeles
Step 1: Feasibility Study and Conceptual Budget
The USM (US Modular) Feasibility Study and Conceptual Budget (FSCB) include an initial site inspection of your property to determine our route accessibility, the topography and the availability of utilities. We will research extensively with the local jurisdiction to determine zoning, setback/height requirements; developmental/mitigation fees; architectural restrictions and permit costs. Each project presents challenges specific to that location, and our staff is experienced in identifying those needs. The non-refundable FSCB Fee will be credited toward your signed construction agreement.
USM will create a detailed preliminary construction budget based on a conceptual floor plan or the square footage of your desired home. This will include but is not limited to, grading, foundation, fabrication, installation and finish of the house, garage, site improvements, development and/or permit fees and all items necessary to complete the entire scope of your project. This budget can be used to obtain a pre-qualification for construction financing.
Step 2: Conceptual Design
Once a complete FSCB has been completed and determined that the project is feasible, USM can enter into an agreement to design your project. Using the information gathered in Step 1, the USM design team will work with you to refine your floor plan and exterior elevations. This can be your floor plan, a standard plan from a catalog, or a full custom design.
During this step, the home specifications and design choices will be selected for inclusion in the plan. This can include window and door types, ceiling heights, appliances, other fixtures, interior and exterior trim and finish. These selections will allow us to separate items that will be installed at our selected building center from those which will be built on-site. Exterior additions, such as garages, decks, driveways, landscaping, and drafting the site plan can be addressed.
Based on the design and specifications, we will revise the conceptual construction budget to an actual total construction sum that will be the basis for a Construction Agreement.
Step 3: Construction Agreement/Project Funding
Now that we have a design and budget established, Los Angeles home builders USM will prepare an all-inclusive construction agreement that will include every facet of the project, from submitting your plans for approvals to handing you the keys. As a full-service General Contractor, we can provide every service to complete your project. Your construction agreement will include the proposed scope of work, conceptual design documents, payment schedule and allowances (if applicable). This agreement can be submitted to your lender to help secure your construction financing.
If you already have funding in place, go to the next step. However, if you need financing, the lending institution will require several items, including a budget, floor plans, elevations and a construction agreement with USM before final approval. If you do not currently have a lender, USM has relationships with a number of lending institutions that are familiar with the off-site modular process. After the loan is approved, an escrow account will be established for disbursement.
Step 4: Engineering
The structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire suppression and civil engineering is all completed at this time by State licensed engineering firms. These drawings will become part of the approval submittal package.
Step 5: Permitting
If local planning approval was required and has now been satisfied, the Off-Site Modular plans are then submitted to and a State approved 3rd party agency, not the local jurisdiction. Then, along with the State approved plans, USM will submit the site and building plans to the local jurisdiction, eliminating much of the back and forth plan review process with the local building department, saving up to 9 months in obtaining the building permits.
Step 6: Site Construction and Off-Site Fabrication
Once the building permit is issued, site construction and off-site home construction will begin simultaneously. While USM completes your foundation, our selected Off-Site building center completes the structure. The multi-tiered State licensed inspection, supervision and quality control system ensures the highest quality product while conforming to all applicable building codes and industry standards. USM personnel physically visit the off-site building center during fabrication, adding one more quality control level.
Step 7: On-Site Completion
With the foundation complete and inspected by the local jurisdiction, your site is ready to receive the modules. In one day, your bare foundation transforms into a complete structure. The modules arrive on their individual carriers and are lifted into place by a massive crane. Since the modules typically arrive with windows, doors, plumbing, electrical, heating and air conditioning, drywall, cabinets, fixtures and appliances in place, the finishing process is greatly abbreviated. Depending on if any specialized finishes were selected, the finishing process can be as short as 30 days in duration. Any related site work, such as garages, decks, and landscaping, can now be completed.
The local jurisdiction inspects the structural hardware connecting the modules to the foundation and each other and then releases the project for utility connections and subsequent certificate of occupancy.
Modular Home Builders Los Angeles, CA
New Los Angeles modular houses are designed with the customer’s dream home in mind. From a cozy granny flat to an off-site Modular mansion, your new home is made to order, giving you more creative control than working with most builders and contractors. Inside and out, this is your home, designed to match your vision.
The quality of today’s off-site modular home is often unparalleled, due to several factors: Today’s factory equipment is powerful and state of the art, producing a tight, sound and energy-efficient home. The materials need to meet a consistently high standard because of the finely calibrated equipment being used in the factory. Your Los Angeles home is created in a climate-controlled environment, where the materials are protected from the ravaging effects of weather. The consistency of an overseen, assembly-line process also leaves little room for mistakes or oversights.
Green Building is a whole-system approach to building that takes into consideration seven factors:
- Lot Design, Preparation and Development
- Resource Efficiency
- Energy Efficiency
- Water Efficiency
- Indoor Environmental Quality
- Operation Maintenance and Homeowner Education
- Global Impact
Using products that are not harmful to the environment while partnering with other companies that also work to protect the environment. The bottom line is that we are certified and committed to building the very smartest, greenest custom homes on the market.
One of the many advantages of building modular is the fact that your dream home can be typically delivered, set and completed in less than 4 months. This is considerably less time than most onsite homes, where weather concerns, small or inconsistent construction crews, back orders and equipment problems are just a few of the reasons for delay.
Your new Los Angeles modular home comes with a 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty® (2-10 HBW®) that includes 10 full years of structural defect coverage for load-bearing components; one full year of systems coverage against defects in wiring, piping and ductwork in electrical, plumbing, heating, cooling, ventilating and mechanical systems; and 1 full year of coverage against defects in workmanship and materials.
Reduced risk to the lender involved, based on the fact that our product is delivered further along in the completion process and once set, the lender has more value on the foundation than the money they have paid out. This increases the probability of the project reaching completion.
Call us today to discuss building your next home, multi-family or commercial project. Our staff of designers and engineers is available to help you create a green, cost-effective, beautiful home or multi-family project. Our entire team at USModular is dedicated to our client’s complete satisfaction. We incorporate each client into the building process through our proactive person-to-person approach and realize how valuable each client is to our team.
What is the price of building prefab homes in Los Angeles?
We offer full-service, turn-key home prices that include design, permits, and house and utility connections. See available floor plans and prices today!